Have you been dreaming of an RV trip to southern California but are weary of over crowded beaches and endless traffic? We’re suggesting you skip Malibu and Los Angeles and head 100 miles south until you land in the beautiful ocean side city known as San Diego. Want to know the best local spots? Today our San Diego La Mesa RV employees are sharing their secret and favorite spots in the city they call home.
Photography: Visit California
Ike Ellis’s Local Guide to San Diego
Downtown San Diego:
– Punch Bowl Social: A remodeled boxing gym turned restaurant/entertainment space that just opened June 2018. It offers bowling, darts, board games, ping pong, private rooms for karaoke, lots of beers and great food.
– If you need someplace quieter with just as good beer, walk over to 10 Barrel across the street.
Check out Seaside Market. This market is right on the beach in Cardiff-by-the-Sea. They sell Burgundy Pepper Tri-Tip and it melts in your mouth. It’s becoming quite famous so be one of the first to check out this trend.
– The Merrow: A great sleepy dive bar with live music and national acts.
– Petco Park : Located right in the heart of downtown, the stadium was built to make you feel like you were sitting on a corner in the middle of the city. Watch baseball, enjoy an amazing meal at one of the several restaurants around the park and enjoy the epic view of the city.
Take the Coronado Ferry and rent any of the bike share/scooter shares scattered across San Diego. I suggest riding the ferry to Coronado, around the island, and then head back to downtown. The .24 mile loop is filled with shops, bars, beaches, and that California sun.
San Diego has 165 micro breweries. 165! My favorites are Mission, Alpine, Modern Times, Monkey Paw, Bolt, and of course, Ballast Point. All have tasting rooms or full breweries downtown. You can’t leave San Diego without trying a west coast IPA.
Photography: Delaware North
Annie Libby’s Local Guide to San Diego
– 3rd Corner: Equipped with an an excellent wine shop inside the restaurant.
– The Joint:Known for their sushi and tapas and my favorite beer on tap – Duchesse de Bourgogne. Bonus, it’s dog friendly!
– OB Noodle House: Great Pho and beer on tap. Also dog friendly.
– Little Lion: Small neighborhood café with a few tables that has Belgian food.
– Hodad’s: I always take my out-of-town guests that crave a good burger and surfer atmosphere to this legendary spot.
Live Music Venues:
– Winstons: Showcases great local bands.
– Music Box: Located in Little Italy and has 3 stories!
– The Observatory North Park: The newest concert and nightlife spot for national acts.
San Diego is so dog friendly, they even created the first 24 hour leash-free Dog Beach in the United States. This spot is perfect for RVers traveling with their furry friends. Need a hair salon and tattoo parlor all it one? Make your way to Seth’s Chop Shop.
Are you local to San Diego and have a favorite spot you’d like to share? Leave your reccommendations in the comment section and check out our latest Road Trip Guide to another sunny destination, The Florida Keys.