The holidays are for spending time with loved ones, and what better way is there to bond than by making something sweet with a whole lot of love? With Christmas day around the corner, there’s no better time to start planning your special treats and desserts for the whole family.
Start your morning off with some healthy Grinch pancakes (made with spinach and yes, they are delicious), then follow your big Christmas meal with a delicious campfire apple dump cake, s’mores, and popcorn made right over the campfire! We encourage you to sip on hot apple cider in between desserts. Enjoy the recipes for each sweet treat below!
GRINCH PANCAKE RECIPE
These delicious and very nutritious Grinch pancakes are (get ready) grain free, dairy freed, gluten free AND refined sugar free. They’re perfect for those who are paleo and are kid approved!
– 2 cups almond flour
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp sea salt
– 3 large eggs
– 1 Tbsp honey
– 1/2 cup water
– 1 cup baby spinach (packed)
– coconut oil for greasing (or any cooking oil)
– strawberries to top
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
– Mixing bowl
– Stove (or camp grill)
– A big Christmas day appetite!
1. Add almond flour, salt, baking soda, honey, water, eggs and spinach to a blender.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Heat skillet over medium and grease with coconut oil.
4. Pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto grill.
5. Cook each flapjack for five minutes, then flip and cook for a remaining 2-3 minutes.
6. Cut your strawberries in half and top on each pancake.
7. Serve and enjoy!
CAMPFIRE APPLE DUMP CAKE
Get ready for the ultimate campfire dessert. The apple dump cake is a crowd favorite because it is bonkers delicious and can be done over the fire! Get the kids involved making this incredible dessert this holiday season.
– 1 box cake mix (white or yellow)
– 1 12.5 oz can of 7 Up or Sprite
– 4 to 5 red apples
– 1 tsp apple pie spice
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– Ice cream to top (optional but recommended)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
– Dutch oven
– 1 Lodge Camp Dutch oven liner
– Apple peeler
– Serving mugs
– Serving spoon
1. Start your fire and burn for at least 30 minutes to get hot coals burning.
2. Peel, core, and slice apples.
3. Place one Lodge camp Dutch oven liner in Dutch oven.
4. Place apples, brown sugar and apple pie spice in a bowl, toss to combine and pour into Dutch oven.
5. Dump cake mix over apple mixture – do NOT mix.
6. Pour 7 Up (or Sprite) on top. Again, do NOT mix.
7. Cover Dutch oven with lid.
8. Place oven over approximately 6-8 hot coals.
9. Place 12-15 hot coals on top of lid.
10. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
11. When you begin to smell hot apple pie, your dessert is ready!
12. Carefully brush coals off lid, remove Dutch oven from all coals.
13. Serve immediately from Dutch oven.
14. Top with ice cream for extra deliciousness.
ADDITIONAL SWEET TREATS THAT ARE PERFECT FOR THE HOLIDAY SEASON
These additional desserts really bring the Christmas spirit. Simple and easy to make, you can start a new holiday tradition by roasting s’mores over the campfire on Christmas Eve, making hot apple cider (which can be spiked for adults if you’re feeling a hard apple cider) and popping popcorn at your campground. The classic candy cane is also necessary to have laying around your RV for a late night snack (and of course for Santa) this holiday!
Looking for ideas on how to host Christmas at your campground next week? Check out our go to guide for hosting that covers food, decorations, games, table settings and so much more by following the link here. If you’ve not yet participated in our 10 Days of Christmas Giveaway, no is your chance! Head to our Instagram to learn how you can enter to win some exception RV prizes over the next few days!