Fall weather, campground coffee, and a delicious breakfast… what more could an RVer want? Last month our photographer Kristen hit the road with her husband for a two week road trip in the 2021 Winnebago Revel. The duo put their camp cookery skills to work to share their favorite RV breakfast recipe. Shakshouka, a dish consisting of eggs, tomatoes, onion, pepper, garlic and spices, is a simple, affordable and incredibly delicious warm meal that is ideal for RVers during the chilly fall season. For the full recipe, continue reading!
Shakshouka Recipe: WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
– RV stove or Campstove (Jetboil featured here)
– Can opener
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 4 eggs
– 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced or fresh garlic paste
– 1 red pepper seeded and thinly sliced
– 1 white onion thinly sliced
– 1 can crushed tomato
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– Cayenne pepper to taste
– 1 French baguette
Shakshouka Recipe: DIRECTIONS
1. Cut the onion and bell pepper (seeded) into thin slices.
2. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add in onion and bell pepper. Cook down until veggies are soft.
3. Add in a generous amount of garlic. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
4. Stir in spices (cumin, paprika and cayenne) and let simmer for 1 minute.
5. Pour in can of crushed tomato.
6. Let dish cook until tomatoes are thick. Depending on what stove you’re cooking on, this can be anywhere from 10 – 15 minutes.
7. With your spatula, make four holes in the tomato sauce for your eggs.
8. Crack each egg into its own separate hole.
9. Cover entire dish with foil and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes (again, length depends on your camp stove).
10. While your main dish is cooking, slice avocado and bread into dipping pieces.
11. Once eggs are fully cooked, remove foil and serve each person with one egg, sauce and veggies. Top with your favorite garnishes (we chose feta and avocado) and dip your bread into the dish to fully enjoy!
Looking for more camp cookery recipes? Check out our Road Eats tab by clicking here to browse through delicious recipes that will carry you into fall! Is there something you’d like to see more of on our Experience Life blog? Leave us a comment in the section below sharing the types of RV lifestyle stories you’d like to see and we’ll be sure to cover them in the future.
Please share this tasty Shakshouka Recipe.